onSchedule

Generation Z

Home  /  Business   /  Generation Z

Generation Z

Adapting your workplace for the new generation of employees

Just as managers have wrapped their minds around managing millennials in the workplace, Generation Z, a new cluster of employees are now entering the workforce. Gen Z is the demographic cohort born between 1995 and 2010 that comes after the millennial generation [Forbes, 2018]. Also known as the iGen this demographic are tech-savvy, spend most of their time online and recent studies have shown that this group is more inclined to entrepreneurism than past generations.

Recent studies have shown that this group are more inclined to entrepreneurism than past generations.

What does this mean for your business?

An international study conducted in 2017 on Gen Z employees showed that approximately 60% of Gen Z employees require their managers to check in on them multiples times a day. The other 40% of the employees would like to have multiple interactions with their managers daily. Whilst this may seem too time-consuming for managers, the constant feedback employees receive can make a drastic positive change toward employees’ performance.

Although it has been highlighted that Gen Z employees desire frequent feedback, this group does not require full-length conversations rather they long for constant recognition.  A Gen Z employee wants to be acknowledged and reassured that they are appreciated. Therefore, a two-minute check-in may be all they require to keep them motivated. Previous generations such as the baby boomers (1946-1964) and millennials (1981- 1994) view meetings with their boss as “trouble” whereas Gen Z employees feel “uneasy” if they do not hear from their boss.

 

So, what can you do as an employer?

The iGen has been raised in a digital world where information is always readily available. Sharing views on various digital platforms is a daily activity for this generation. Hence, they are very opinionated and want to be heard. A constant check-in requesting their point of view on specific issues could greatly improve the company culture. In addition, get to know your employees as people with hobbies and pets. They would appreciate being recognized and nurtured.

 

References

https://www.forbes.com/sites/josercosta/2018/09/10/gen-z-is-officially-here-how-will-we-manage/#291066725657
http://www.pewresearch.org/topics/millennials/

WhatsApp chat